Thursday 12 September 2013

Lesson 6: Used to

Today we will discuss about using ‘used to’ in a sentence.  We use ‘used to’ for something that happened regularly in the past but no longer happens now.

Examples:
He used to come here once a week.
I used to go to school by bus.
When I was young, I used to tease him a lot because of his funny looking sunglasses.
I used to smoke when I was in college, but quit after joining military.
She used to be a sweet girl when we were in college, but she changed a lot after getting into a bad relationship.

Learn the list of the words given below and then read the paragraph following it.
Invade
Attack, occupy
Cruelly (cruel)
Unkindly, brutally
Enemy
Opponent, foe
Eager
Very much interested in something
Task
Work, chore
Hid (past of hide)
To put out of sight, conceal
Conquer
Defeat, overcome
Brave
Courageous
Revenge
To punish in return, vengeance

Tanya was a Russian girl of 18.  She was the daughter of a school teacher. The Germans invaded Russia in 1941.  Tanya heard how cruelly the enemies were treating her countrymen.  She was eager to fight the Germans, but as she was girl, she could not become a soldier.  She was, however, given other works to do.  It was difficult, but she made up her mind to fulfill her task.  She hid among the Germans in one of the conquered villages.  She cut off their telephone lines and set fire to their stores.  One day she came upon a place where horses were kept, and thought of burning it down.  But just as she was going to do it, she was caught by a German soldier.  He took her to their leader.  They tried to make her say where she had come from and show many there were like her.  But as much as they beat this brave girl, she did not tell them anything.  In the end, she was put to death.  She died bravely, saying, “You are killing me, but my countrymen are sure to take revenge on you.”

QUOTES
Friends are like antiques.  The longer you have them, the more valuable they become.

People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges. – Joseph F. Newton

If you want to put the world right, start with yourself.

He who seeks peace must look for it within himself. – M. K. Gandhi

That which does not begin with God ends in failure.

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE
Doctor:  Please lie down, I need to check you.
Female:  Okay but call the nurse too.
Doctor:  Why, you don't have trust in me?
Female:  I do, but my husband, who is outside, doesn't have trust in me.

A man walks into a shop and sees a cute little dog.
He asks the shopkeeper, "Does your dog bite?"
The shopkeeper says, "No, my dog does not bite."
The man tries to pet the dog and the dog bites him.
"Ouch," he says, "I thought you said your dog does not bite!"
The shopkeeper replies, "That is not my dog."

What did zero say to eight?

No comments:

Post a Comment